Saturday, January 24, 2009

Getting Started

Welcome! We're glad you're here!

If you are like me, the worst part about dinner is figuring out what to make. I hope this blog will help inspire you to get a little more organized and prepared for dinner so you don't feel stressed when 4:45 rolls around and everyone begins to ask "What's for dinner?".

Each week there will be a short grocery list for that week's dinner entrees. Since we are just beginning this blog together, I'm not going to overwhelm you and have side dish and dessert ideas. I'll leave that up to you. It's easy to grab a few cans of green beans and pears and call it good! Once we evolve as a group more, we'll add side dishes, desserts, etc.

To begin, grab your calendar. If you are religious about using a handwritten calendar, use that. If you prefer your phone, do it! If you're more like me, use your computer's calendar. I use the Windows calendar that came with my computer. The first thing you need to do is set reminders. There is nothing worse than figuring out what you're going to have for dinner and then forgetting to thaw it or worse; pick it up at the store! I set up a reminder for the night before to put the meat in the refrigerator to thaw. I put the food front and center in the fridge so I will remember to check it when I reach in the fridge at lunch time. If it needs to thaw more, I'll either set it in my sink or give myself a little extra time to pop it in the microwave before I begin making dinner.

Secondly, check your shopping list. Make sure you have everything you'll need upfront. This will save you from calling your hubby on his way home from work to stop and get something for you or having to make an extra trip to the store yourself!

Third - get creative. You don't have to stick directly to this list. Perhaps you only want to cook 3 times a week as opposed to 5-6. Or you don't like what is on the menu this week. Or maybe you are vegetarian (sorry there's not going to be much help for you on this blog, we LOVE meat). This blog is meant to be a help, not an overwhelming obstacle!

Fourth - Pitch in! Send me your family's favorite dinner ideas. Just email me at acjacobs@digis.net with the recipe and how your family best likes it served. If you have a "family" recipe that comes with a story, SHARE IT! I think it will be fun to share your stories with my kiddos while we're enjoying the wonderful food together!

Fifth- Make comments. Let us know if you liked a certain recipe/dinner idea. Did you think of a shortcut for something? Do you know of a killer deal on some of our ingredients at one of the local stores? Let all of us know in the comment forum!

Lastly - HAVE FUN! These are supposed to be the best days of our lives right? Studies have shown over and over that kids who come from homes that have regular family meals together are less likely to end up pregnant, on drugs, or dropped out of school! All of that besides the obvious benefits to our pocket books & waistlines from not eating out as much! Family dinner ROCKS! Or at least it can, if we are a little more prepared and less stressed out about it!

3 comments:

Zane, Fallon,Taden,Damian and ? said...

good job age! i'm excited. what a good idea! fal

Zane, Fallon,Taden,Damian and ? said...

age, everytime i try to click the here button to give you some of my fav recipes it won't work. so i'll just write them here. hope thats okay. the first one is called baked chx with cheese.
6 thawed boneless chx breasts
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp garlic salt
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
in a plastic bag place bread crumbs, cheeses, salt and pepper. melt butter and mix in garlic salt. Dip the chx into butter and garlic salt, then place in bag to coat the chx with the bread crumbs mixture. use a big cookie sheet covered in tin foil. pour remaining mixture over the tops of the chx. Bake at 350* for 45 min.
I also like to place bacon on the chx under the mixture!! hope people like it! fal

Sarah said...

This is such a great idea! I have a difficult time planning my weekly menu. I'm hoping this will keep me motivated. I'm also looking forward to trying some new yummy recipes!